Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Low GI Recipes - Coconut Beef Curry

Coconut Beef Curry, Serves 2 as a main
(page 86 Better Homes and Gardens Australia Diabetic Living Magazine May/June 2011)

Preparation Time 15 mins, Cooking Time 40 mins.

1 tspn olive oil
250g beef oyster blade steak, trimmed of fat, chopped
1 tspn Garam Marsala
1/2 tspn ground turmeric
Pinch of ground chillies
125ml (1/2 cup) Trident Light Coconut Milk
145g (1/2 cup) canned no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
200g cauliflower, chopped
100g green beans, trimmed diagonally sliced
100g yellow squash, quartered (personally I am not a bit fan of the squash and like more cauliflower)
100g (1/2 cup) basmati rice

1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on medium-high. Add the beef. Cook for 2-3 minutes, tossing often, until browned. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garam marsala, turmeric and chillies. Cook, stirring for 30 seconds.

2. Add coconut milk and tomato to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cook partially covered, for 25 minutes or until meat is tender.

3. Add cauliflower, beans and squash to the pan. Cook, partially covered for 5-10 minutes or until the veggies are tender.

4. Meanwhile, cook the rice following packet directions. Drain well.

5. Serve the curry with rice.

Nutrition info 
per serve: 1992kJ, protein: 25.7g, total fat: 13.7g (sat fat 7.7g), cholesterol: 71.3mg, carbs: 48.3g, fibre: 6.2g, sodium: 120.7mg. Carb exchanges: 3 1/2. GI Estimate: medium. Gluten free

6 comments:

  1. I would leave out the beef and add more vegetables. The skinny portion would add more meat, more chilli and avoid as much vegetable as he could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be hard cooking at your place or do you each cook your own food? I'm lucky that hubby does most of the cooking and I help with prep when I can. I make a mean chicken and ginger stir fry though. I like vegetarian meals, but just have to have meat at least a few times a week. xxx

      Delete
    2. When things are going well, we each cook our own providing assistance when/if needed. When things are not going well I get to cook two separate meals. Joy and bliss. Not.

      Delete
    3. Another recipe....marvellous. I like that you give all the nutrition information. Thank you. Got to get ourselves organised and try all of them. We are fortunate that we both are omnivorous and so can both eat the same meals.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to give this a go. Cauliflower is my greatest nemesis though, so I'll switch it out for some other veg.

    Did you know they've re-classified Sweet potato's GI? (Mind you, it was a couple of years ago, but it took me a while to cotton on. For all I know, you knew all along). It used to be considered a low GI food, but now it's moderate. It's got a faster and higher peak than they used to believe. I still use it though. Any time I'm having Pumpkin (which I LOVE), I make sure I halve it and substitute some for SP (which I tolerate).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only noticed recently that they had changed the rating of sweet potato as well. I try and avoid pumpkin (although I love it) and stick to SP but we also now use the Low GI Charisma potatoes from Coles, still only eat a small portion though. I hated the squash which is why I increased the cauliflower, and now this dish is perfect for me. Let me know who you go with other vegetables.

      Delete