Banana Bread with Ricotta & Honey, Serves 8 as breakfast
(page 94 Better Homes and Gardens Australia Diabetic Living May/June 2012 magazine)
Preparation Time : 15 mins, + 10 mins cooling time. Cooking Time : 45 mins
3 ripe bananas, peeled
80g (1/2 cup) low fat vanilla yoghurt
3 x 50g eggs
60g 40% reduced-fat sunflower spread, melted, cooled
1 tspn vanilla essence
160g (1 cup) wholemeal self-raising flour
75g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
15g (1/2 cup) oat bran
1 tspn ground cinnamon
70g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) dark brown sugar or 1/3 cup granulated sugar substitute
250g low-fat ricotta
2 Tblspn honey
1. Preheat oven to 170C (fan-forced). Spray a 7cm-deep, 10cm x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan with cooking spray. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing the paper to overhang the sides.
2. Put bananas in a large bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth. Add yoghurt, eggs, spread and vanilla essence. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
3. Put flours, oat bran, cinnamon and sugar in medium bowl. Stir until well combined. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and mix until just combined. Pour batter into loaf pan and smooth surface.
4. Bake for 40-45 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in loaf pan for 10 mins to cool slightly, then turn out onto wire rack.
5. Slice bread and spread with ricotta. Drizzle with honey to serve.
Cooks Tip : This banana bread is delicious served warm or cold.
Per Serve (with sugar) 1278kJ, protein: 10.5g, total fat 9.2g (sat. fat 3.4g), cholesterol 84.5mg, carbs: 44.1g, fibre 3.9g, sodium 318.9mg. Carb exchange: 3. GI Estimate : medium.
Per Serve (with sugar substitute) 1158kJ, protein: 10.5g, total fat 9.2g (sat. fat 3.4g), cholesterol 84.5mg, carbs: 36.6g, fibre 3.9g, sodium 317.9mg. Carb exchange: 2 1/2. GI Estimate : medium.